Friday, February 23, 2007

Week 8: Online Applications & Tools  #18, #19

# 18  Actually pulled a quill from my gorgeous tail to try out Zoho Writer. Logged in under Alkonost and penned a poem-song inspired by this Dreamscape watercolor. Being cautious, I saved the whole on a floppy disk as a Word document. Then I tried posting it as a draft from Zoho to my blog. This worked only when I was simultaneously logged in at Blogger. The draft was formated in HTML which I edited, taking out repetitive, unnecessary coding, fixing line spacing and margin indent. Perhaps I didn't need to fuss so much with the original draft; it would have been presentable, but as you know by now, I am a perfectionist whether in feather attire or creative endeavor. As soon as I've mastered the technology, you also will be able to hear this siren song.
# 19  Ah, I could happily sing about LibraryThing. A wonderful roost for an avian with a long literary history! Once signed up, I entered a few of my favorite books, choosing less well-known titles tasted decades ago but which have kept their savor, like Twilight of the Gods by Richard Garnett (1 other owner), Walter de la Mare's The Three Mulla-mulgars (3), and Shilappadikaram by Ilango Adigal (0). To properly list a title, I had to determine publisher, edition, date, illustrator, etc., using information from Amazon.com, the Library of Congress, or other sources I selected to search. This meant frequently returning to my booktree to see what I really had. An absorbing exercise for collectors, but a bit frustrating if you'd like to record your library quickly. The exciting part was dipping into other folk's libraries and following tags to reading lists or reviews. Clicking on Albert Bigelow Paine, author of The Hollow Tree Snowed-In Book (0), brought up his more popular stories and their owners. A bookloving bird could easily get lost for the rest of March in this site.

1 comment:

TANGLE said...

Dear Alkonsot-Sirin,

This is a brief message to say, Fly High and Forever!